Friday, December 3, 2010

First One Stride Back

The last few nights Jimmy has been a star. He's getting very athletic again & regaining so much stamina so quickly I'm pretty shocked. We're up to working for a solid 40 minutes with usually only one or two walk breaks & he doesn't break a sweat or breathe hard at all. He needs maybe two laps around the arena walking & he's ready for bed.

I think part of why his stamina has gotten so strong is because I warm up really slowly. I walk 4 or 5 times around the arena (at least 2x per direction) before I do any trotting, and once we're trotting we trot A LOT before we start to canter.

Last night I set up a gymnastic for the first time since he's jumping again. I had a simple ground rail set at 9' before an X, then 24' to another X, making that a true no-stride to one-stride. In HORSE strides. Not Jimmy/cob strides. Before the surgery he was just learning to open his stride and kind of struggling to get through lines in the horse strides. I know he can do it, I just have to work to lengthen his stride & relax him so he goes nice and long.

I warmed up & started trotting the second X only, slicing so there was a clear line & an obvious choice that the second X wasn't part of the equation yet. He kept getting impatient and taking one pathetic canter step before the X. I like to nip these habits in the bud, so when he starts something like this I make a pretty huge deal out of it (safely) so he understands that this behavior is not acceptable.

The second time he thought to take a canter stride I tugged and asked him to come back to me & slowly trot. He walked & jumped the X. The next time he got rushy & took a canter step anyway & left when he wanted to, so I made an immediate straight line halt about 2 strides after the X. The third time he thought to canter I felt it one stride before and pulled up for a halt, yelling "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO NO NO NO!" I then quietly asked him to back clear back to the corner of the arena where we started and nicely trot forward & up/over the X. He did so, and trotted the X like a kitten. Soft, fluffy, happy. Gorgeous. Big pat, lots of praise, mush mush mush, Jimmy you're awesome.

Then we went onto something else completely opposite - I like training horses this way because the "lesson" he just learned about jumping from the base I will apply later, but right now, he has to switch gears and flex something else in his repetiore. I think it makes them more alert, agile, & athletic. The three A's ;-) We went on to canter the gymnastic. He's little & previously in his "prime" (pre-op) he had about a 11' or 10.5' stride. Typical horses have a 12' stride & courses at horse shows are always set to the 12' stride.

We got our rhythm, we cantered in. We did one stride. We jumped out. OH. MY. GOOD. GRACIOUS. I set it true 24' as a horse one-stride and I was so amped that THE FIRST TRY HE DID IT IN ONE!!!!!! And he had gusto doing it!!! He tried SO hard and did it THE FIRST TIME!!!! I cantered around and did it again. One-stride. Too good to be true? Lucky draw? I stopped for a little bit...walked...and cantered it again. One stride. Even when he got in ugly, he lowered, reached, and got one out. ONE!!! I gave him ridiculous amounts of praise and pets & let him walk & hang out while Cass jumped it with her horse.

Then I decided to bring back the lesson we learned earlier - Jump from the base. I trotted in, put my hands up on his neck, and just let him figure it out while I cooed out a little baby "Ho ho" and what do you know? Two perfect pony strides, jump out, land, lead change, canter down the next long side. Holy moly I love this horse. I got a good gallop started mid-long side & continued cantering around to canter the one-stride one last time & see if he really was the champion I thought he was. What do you know? Did it in one again, just like I asked.

Needless to say, I'm on cloud nine still because I worked a lot before the surgery on trying to get him to lower & lengthen & be that elastic with his stride and he just wouldn't figure it out. He'd always bump that one extra stride in there so it was one & a half, we couldn't get the solid one unless we were really hauling @$$ & that's just not comfortable for anyone.

All along, he just plugged away last night. Never got emotional, never got huffed up, just did his job. My mom & I call him a little sewing machine when he's like this because he's just even paced, consistent, and steady as can be. Blessed doesn't even begin to describe how I feel to him. He is truly amazing.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My guess is that his front feet are probably more comfortable now, so he feels more confident about going forward for that bigger horse stride. Sounds like the surgery is really going to make a big difference for you guys!

Anonymous said...

That's great that he's going so well! Marissa may have something there about his comfort with striding out.

I agree with you about mixing things up in a work session - no one likes to drill, drill, drill on just one thing. I think those breaks actually help to cement the learning.

Jess said...

Thanks ladies! And I definitely agree - everything that we seemed to work on relentlessly before and just 'couldn't get' now is coming to him effortlessly. It still shocks me that it took me so long to realize there was such a significant problem.