Friday, January 21, 2011

It's Just Too Easy

Sorry I haven't been updating!!!! And THANK YOU to all of the nominations for Stylish Blogger award! I feel so blessed to have so many followers love me :-D Well, it's Jimmy you all love, that's alright. I know it's true.

Jimmy is fit as a fiddle. The wounds on his back legs are healing beautifully & I'm keeping them dressed so they won't get icky & scabby & flakey. We want nice SOFT, MOIST wounds so they grow HAIR back! Hopefully BLACK hair to match those legs! (A few years ago he got cast in his stall & cut himself up & those scars on his front legs grew in white! HELLO PAINT GENES!)

I set up some jumps the other night & tried to make them things he would question, or at least put effort into... Boy, does this horse love to prove me wrong. I set up a rail to canter over while we circled, he found his rhythm and got the perfect distance every time. I set up a big giant "X" to try & get a little scope out of him, he barely made any extra motion at all, just softly jumped up & cantered away. I cantered an X off of a short turn, in the dark spot of the arena, he saw it a mile away & cantered over it. I set up the door to an old rubbermaid cabinet with a tire behind it as a "wall" to jump with no standards & jumped it from the tire side - so all he saw was a tire & a big wide door behind it....cantered over it. Didn't blink an eye. So THEN I was like "Well that didn't matter at all..." I had a 3' vertical set up on upside-down cups in a far corner of the arena on an angle so it was a bit of a short turn. I thought in my head, "This will DEFINITELY get a question out of him" so I cantered around the arena, cantered up, short turn.....Jump.Land.Canter.Lead change. COME ON JIMMY!!!!! NOTHING?!?! NO QUESTION AT ALL?!?! It's just too easy for him. So, I did it one more time, a little off pace & grabbed him at it so he got right into the base and he ever so slightly rubbed it on his way up & pulled the rail. THANK YOU! SOME kind of question! This whole jumping thing is just way too flipping easy for him. I know, I know, this is a WONDERFUL problem to have and trust me, I'm overwhelmingly proud to have raised such a careful, soft, able, and well-bodied horse. But sometimes I just want a CHALLENGE!!!! He will be teaching lessons a LONG time because then SOMEONE will be learning from his unbelievable abilities!!! I will continue to try & find things that will question him over fences. I know what he questions when we aren't jumping - ALL FLATWORK. He gets SO BORED with flatwork with me and so sassy because he hates it. Oh well, another post for another day.

I stopped after the vertical for the day because it wasn't even fun. I just laughed and patted him & said, "You're too easy to ride, buddy! It's not even fun for Mama!!"

Next up: Gymnastics. Let's really test him ;-)

***EDITED TO ADD*** This week Mick jumped out of the paddock again, into the outdoor arena. Jimmy did NOT follow. Lesson: Learned. :-) 

No comments: