Friday, January 14, 2011

Quick Recovery From Jumping The Fence!!

Recap: Yesterday Jimmy tried to jump into the outdoor arena. In retrospect, I'm pretty impressed. Julie (BO) says Mick (17hh TB) was chasing JC and when JC went to turn & get away, the fence to the arena was there so he just lurched himself with all that he could to try & pull a fast one on Mick. Under the circumstance, it's astounding that he got as far over as he did. Cleared it with his front feet and pulled it down with his hind probably when he'd landed already with his fronts. He hasn't learned "Kick up ass to get out of the way of big jumps" yet. Who knew he had that much scope, anyway? Needless to say we WILL be free jumping him when all of this is behind him, because now I'm curious. Can you really jump that high...and clean, Jim? If you could set yourself up to that 5' fence, would you leave it up? I want to know. Maybe not really 5', but at least 4' just to see. Why not? He'll be healthy again.

Jimmy received SMZ's last night, this morning and this evening along with one gram of bute this evening in case he was still sore. As of this morning (Friday) he was still very sullen and had that look on his face that said "I am really sorry for what I did. I feel stupid."

When I got out there this evening he was wide-eyed and bushy-tailed and moved easily in his stall to greet me at the door - a very good sign! I slipped his halter on and he stepped right up out of his stall and out onto the cross ties. He stood well while I took his bandages off. He didn't bleed through the Telfa pads too badly - not enough to mark the vet wrap so I took the vet wrap off VERY carefully so I could reuse it. I buy it by the case, but c'mon...An entire unmarked, perfectly good roll? YES I will save myself the $1.50 and reuse that sucker! I'm a master at the three "R"s.

He stood comfortably while I SCRUBBED the wounds. Some more dirt had surfaced over the 24 hours he was wrapped up, but the actual wounds themselves looked WONDERFUL. Very shallow, nice pink color, and once I scrubbed thoroughly they looked nice and bright & clean - with no new blood! HOORAHH!!! The scrubbing didn't seem to bother him a bit. I put new antibacterial/antibiotic foam on to clean and dress the wounds & covered with Tefla, (recycled!) vet wrap & pillows/standings.

Now, are you curious to hear the BEST news?? NO HEAT. NO SWELLING. NO TENDERNESS ANYWHERE. Not around the wounds, not in the fetlocks behind...and most importantly, not in the FRONT FETLOCKS EITHER!!!! HOORAYYYYY JIMMY CHOO!!!!! The best horse in the world! I left his fronts unwrapped and he is no longer going to be receiving bute.

Jimmy & I hangin' out.
I took him for a walk around the aisle of the barn for about 15 minutes so he could sniff and stretch a little. We did our carrot stretches too & he didn't have any stiffness at all in stretching, no tenderness in his neck & he didn't have any pops today either, which is comforting to me.

I'm going to keep him in one more day, which I think is his last day on SMZ's. I want to make sure those wounds are nice and clean and on their way to growing hair back before he goes back outside in the snow - and I think I'll have Cass polo wrap his back legs so he has some coverage over those nasty marks on his legs when he goes back out.

Tomorrow Cassie & I will be taping the greenies for sale & I'll be posting everyone available for sale online :-) Stay tuned! It should be a very fun day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great news - I was hoping for that!

Anonymous said...

He just wanted to scare you, but no harm done! Good thing.